Dr Chua Sin Bin, Chief Veterinary Officer, Veterinary Public Health and Food Supply Division Agri-food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore, informed us that his country is free from Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) and that a simulation exercise on HPAI called “Exercice Gallus 2 (EX Gallus 2)” will take place in his country, on 18 February 2004.
“EX Gallus 2” will test the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority’s (AVA) crisis management framework and operational readiness of all agencies involved to deal with an outbreak of HPAI on local poultry farm.
Specifically, the objectives of “EX Gallus 2” are to test:
- the activation and recall process for emergency staff;
- AVA’s logistics system to handle the outbreak;
- biosafety protection of personnel;
- the efficiency of culling operation;
- system for disposal of the culled poultry;
- AVA’s coordination with other agencies during operations.
“EX Gallus 2” will be conducted on a local poultry farm for actual simulation of field activities.
Animal Health Information Department
World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)