25 May 2022
Dr. Hele-Mai Sammel, Delegate to the OIE and Deputy Director General of the Agriculture and Food Board of the Republic of Estonia informed the OIE that a simulation exercise on foot and mouth disease (FMD) would take place on 25 May 2022 in the county of Lääne-Viru.
Specialists from the regions of the Agriculture and Food Board will participate in this simulation exercise.
The main objectives of this exercise are to practice fieldwork, operations management, dividing tasks, fixation of cattle and planning the removal of carcasses in the event of an outbreak of FMD.
The exercise will comprise the following activities:
1) Practise the management of disease events;
2) Carry out fieldwork (localization of the outbreak, implementation of biosecurity measures, setting up of disinfection barriers for humans and vehicles);
3) Test the systems and equipment used for cattle fixation;
4) Plan the removal of cattle carcasses;
5) Manage emergency situations in case of communication interference.
World Animal Health Information and Analysis Department
World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH)