17 to 21 October 2022
Dr Geraldo Moraes, Delegate to WOAH and Director of Animal Health of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food Supply of Brazil, informed WOAH that the Agencia de Defesa Sanitária Agrosilvopastoril do Estado de Rondônia (IDARON) will organise a theoretical and practical operational exercise for the investigation of suspected Foot and Mouth Disease. The simulation exercise will take place in Porto Velho, Province of Rondônia, from 17 to 21 October 2022.
The exercise is part of the development activities of the Foot and Mouth Disease Vaccination Suspension Strategic Plan and has a local scope, with the purpose of exercising and testing the warning capacity, early response organisation, management and organisation of the Official Veterinary Service. It will follow the guidelines of the Vesicular Disease Investigation Manual, and will promote theoretical review and practical training on aspects of diagnosis, sampling, epidemiological investigation, tracing, biosecurity and procedures for containment of the spread of Foot and Mouth Disease.
- Train and update technical staff for timely attention to suspected vesicular diseases.
- Prepare veterinarians from Local Veterinary Care Units to recognise clinical signs, examine animals to identify compatible lesions with vesicular disease and properly collect samples for laboratory diagnosis.
- Identify actions to be implemented during early response to suspected vesicular disease.
- Identify the responsibility of organisations and individuals taking specific actions in emergencies.
- Describe how to work with individuals, the environment and property during emergencies.
Practical activities to be simulated:
- Clinical research.
- Sampling, conditioning and transport of samples.
- Logistics (movement of staff, shipment of samples, distribution of equipment, blocking of areas and interdiction of properties, etc.).
- Epidemiological investigation and tracing of the origin or destination of susceptible animals.
- Internal and external registration and communications
- Implementation of biosecurity procedures.
World Animal Health Information and Analysis Department
World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH)