30 July to 5 August 2022
Dr Geraldo Moraes, Delegate to WOAH and Director of Animal Health, informed WOAH that a theoretical and practical simulation exercise on an animal health emergency will take place from 30 July to 5 August 2022 in the municipality of Juscimeira, Mato Grosso Province. The exercise is organised by the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food Supply (MAPA) of Brazil and the Veterinary Service of the State of Mato Grosso (INDEA/MT), supported by the emergency fund for animal health in the State of Mato Grosso (FESA/MT). The event has a national scope and aims to exercise and evaluate the capacity of the Brazilian Official Veterinary Service to respond to an animal health emergency.
A Foot and mouth disease outbreak will be used as a model for field activities, following the guidelines of the National Contingency Plan for foot and mouth disease, while the theoretical programme will also address High pathogenicity avian influenza and African swine fever.
The specific objectives of the exercise are the training and evaluation of:
- The setting up and organisation of the emergency operations centre.
- The biosecurity procedures, control and inspection of vehicle traffic, epidemiological research, sampling, euthanasia and disposal of dead animals, cleaning, and disinfection of facilities.
- The use of different software for data collection, data processing and information management.
- The establishment of a holding area.
- The capacity to document and communicate on the actions carried out.
World Animal Health Information and Analysis Department
World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH)