Background and Purpose
The One Health Joint Plan of Action (OH JPA) was developed in response to international requests to prevent future pandemics and to promote health sustainably through the One Health approach. It outlines the commitment of the Quadripartite four organizations (FAO, UNEP, WHO and WOAH) to collectively advocate and support the implementation of One Health. It builds on, complements, and adds value to existing global and regional One Health and coordination initiatives aimed at strengthening capacity to address complex multidimensional health risks with more resilient health systems at global, regional, and national levels.
The plan includes six action tracks:
1. enhancing countries’ capacity to strengthen health systems under a One Health approach;
2. reducing the risks from emerging or re-emerging zoonotic epidemics and pandemics;
3. controlling and eliminating endemic zoonotic, neglected tropical and vector-borne diseases;
4. strengthening the assessment, management and communication of food safety risks;
5. curbing the silent pandemic of antimicrobial resistance (AMR); and
6. better integrating the environment into the One Health approach.
The event will serve as an occasion for the Quadripartite members to present the plan and discuss the opportunities and challenges with all stakeholders, especially from academia, for its roll-out and implementation.
Agenda of the event
Session chair: Welcome and Introduction of speakers (10 min):
- Dr William B Karesh, Executive Vice President for Health and Policy, EcoHealth Alliance
Quadripartite Joint presentation of the OH Joint Plan of Action (20 min)
Panel Discussion (20 min)
- Francesco Branca, Director, Nutrition and Food Safety, World Health Organization (WHO)
- Keith Sumption, Chief Veterinary Officer, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- Doreen Robinson, Head of Biodiversity and Land, UN Environment Program (UNEP)