MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING (MOU) BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENTS OF THE MEMBER COUNTRIES OF THE ASSOCIATION OF SOUTH EAST ASIAN NATIONS (ASEAN)
THE WORLD ORGANISATION FOR ANIMAL HEALTH (OIE)
ON TECHNICAL COOPERATION
Adopted by the ASEAN and the OIE on 3 June 2008
The governments of the Member Countries of the association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), hereinafter referred to individually as “Member Country” or collectively as "ASEAN" duly represented by its Secretary General of the ASEAN Secretariat,, with headquarters at 70A Jl Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110 , INDONESIA ,
THE WORLD ORGANISATION FOR ANIMAL HEALTH (OIE), with headquarters at 12 rue de Prony , 75017 Paris , FRANCE , hereinafter referred to as "the OIE"’ duly represented by its Director General;
(hereinafter referred to collectively as “the parties” or individually as “a Party”)
- Considering that Member Countries of ASEAN have significant livestock populations;
- Considering that the livelihoods of more than half of the population of ASEAN depend directly or indirectly on livestock production;
- Considering that the development of livestock production in the ASEAN region is heavily reliant upon protection against major animal diseases and zoonoses which are prevalent in the region;
- Considering that the Veterinary Services of ASEAN Member Countries need to be strengthened in terms of infrastructure, expertise and other forms of capacity building;
- Considering that the strengthening of the Veterinary Services is a key factor in the application of sanitary measures and for the protection of public health;
- Considering that the development of trade in animals and animal products necessitates a well developed animal health information system, the creation of an appropriate legislative and regulatory environment through the establishment of standards acceptable to all the stakeholders involved;
- Aknowledging that the South east Foot and Mouth Disease (SEAFMD) Programme which has been managed by OIE for the past several years has achieved significant progress in the control of FMD.
- Considering that the OIE will continue to be closely linked with ASEAN in the implementation of the SEAFMD Programme;
- Considering that one of the principal objectives of the OIE is to collect and disseminate information on the occurrence of animal diseases worldwide and in the means of controlling such diseases;
- Considering that one of the principal objectives of the OIE is to facilitate international trade in animals and animal products through the development of international animal health standards;
- Recalling the OIE’s new mandate in the field of animal production food safety;
Have reached the following Understanding:
The purpose of this Memorandum of Understanding (hereinafter referred to us as “this MOU”) is to enable the Parties to pursue more effectively their common interests and objectives through technical cooperation.
1. The OIE shall assist Member Countries, where appropriate through:
- Development of appropriate measures to support the control and prevention and eradication of animal diseases;
- Design and setting up of epidemiological surveillance, disease reporting and animal health information systems and emergency procedure for disease outbreak;
- Development of standards for trade in animals and animal products;
- Strengthening of the Veterinary Services by supporting training courses in veterinary fields.
2. This section will not prevent the Parties or the ASEAN Secretariat from engaging in cooperation activities with other institutions for the development and implementation of these activities or other related activities.
Within the framework of its assistance, the OIE will help Member Countries to benefit from available international expertise.
The Member Countries and the ASEAN Secretariat will undertake as far as practically possible, to provide the OIE with any support from its personnel needed to perform assigned tasks.
- The Parties will exchange information and documentation on the development and progress of activities deemed to be of common interest, subject to restrictions for reasons of confidentiality.
- Any confidential information, document or data received pursuant to this MOU shall not be disclosed or distributed to any third party, except to the extent authorised in written form to do so by the Party providing the information, document or data.
The Parties will invite one another’s representatives to attend open meetings as observers, pursuant to their customary practices, particularly when matters of common interest consistent with activities listed in Section 2, are to be considered.
The OIE will provide Member Countries and the ASEAN Secretariat with its publications catalogue so as to enable Member Countries and the ASEAN Secretariat to order publications of interest at preferential prices. The Parties and the ASEAN Secretariat will exchange other agreed documents of mutual interest free of charge.
The Parties will hold periodic consultations on matters related to the implementation of this MOU and may, on a basis of mutual consent, propose new modalities to improve its effectiveness. Such modalities will be subject to the written mutual agreement of the Parties.
Any dispute or differences arising out of the interpretation or implementation or application of the provisions of this MOU shall be settled amicably through consultations or negotiation between the Parties.
- This MOU will enter into force on the date of its signature and remain in force unless terminated by either Party by given six months notice in writing.
- The termination of this MOU will not affect the implementation of ongoing activities and programmes which have been decided by the Parties prior to the date of the termination of this MOU, unless otherwise agreed by the Parties in writing.
- Any Party may request in writing a revision, amendment and/or modification of all or any parts of this MOU. Any revision, amendment or modification shall be mutually agreed upon by the Parties and will form part of this MOU.
- Any notice given by a Party to the other Parties pursuant to this MOU shall be in writing and shall be sent to the following:
For ASEAN:The ASEAN Secretariat
For OIE: Director General
World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)
12 rue de Prony
Secretary General ASEAN
Director General OIE