THE ARAB ORGANIZATION FOR ARICULTURE DEVELOPMENT (AOAD)
THE WORLD ORGANISATION OF ANIMAL HEALTH (OIE)
Adopted by the AOAD and the OIE on 6 April 2006
The Arab Organization for Agriculture Development of the league of Arab States, hereinafter referred to as AOAD and the World Organization for Animal Health, hereinafter referred to as the OIE, being desirous of coordinating their efforts in the control of animal diseases and food safety within the framework of their respective mandates, agree to the following:
- OIE and AOAD agree to cooperate closely in matters of common interest pertaining to their respective fields of competence.
- For the purposes of the present Agreement:
“animal” includes livestock, birds, wild fauna, bees, fish and other aquatic animals.
2.1 The OIE is primarily responsible for the following:
- Establishment of standards, guidelines and recommendations relevant to animal diseases and zoonoses in accordance with its statutes and as defined in the WTO-SPS Agreement;
- Development and updating of international science-based reference standards and validation of diagnostic tests published in the Terrestrial Animal Health Code, Manual of Diagnostic tests and vaccines for Terrestrial Animals and Manual of Diagnostic tests for Aquatic Animals;
- Development of Animal Welfare and of Safety Standards for food of animal origin, particularly at the primary production levels.
2.2 AOAD is primarily responsible for the:
- Development of programmes in member states and coordination of activities with other relevant organizations and supporting agencies for the effective prevention and progressive control of important animal diseases;
- Establishment of guidelines and recommendations on good agricultural practices relevant to the management of animal diseases and zoonoses.
2.3 The following activities are subject to joint action in the middle east countries:
- Implementation, monitoring and maintenance of the OIE existing early warning and surveillance system for major animal diseases, by OIE sanitary and scientific information as well as other relevant sources of disease information;
- Joint development of international standards relating to those aspects in animal production having impact on food safety, in collaboration with other relevant international agencies;
- Regional promotion and co-ordination of veterinary and other related research activities on animal diseases and zoonoses and those aspects in animal production having impact on food safety;
- Elaborating of regional strategies and assist in the negotiation of agreements for the effective prevention and progressive control of animal diseases and zoonoses;
- Providing expert advice on matters covered by this agreement;
- Organizing strategic meetings, conferences, committees, working groups and tasks forces on those aspects in animal health/production having impact on food safety, control policies and programmes of both regional and global scope;
- Assisting, on request, countries in developing their veterinary education, veterinary services (or other competent authorities) in compliance with OIE international standards on quality and evaluation and extension services;
- Dissemination and publication and other means of technical information related to research, control methods, and those aspects in animal production having impact on food safety
OIE and AOAD jointly collaborate, in particular, by the following means:
- Reciprocal exchange of reports, publications and information including outbrakes of animal diseases and zoonoses and the forms of agricultural statistics. Special arrangements may be made by the director –General of OIE and the Director General of AOAD for the collection and analysis of relevant information from any Member Country and distribution of this information to countries which are not members of one or the other party;
- Participation of parties in the relevant meetings and conferences organized by the other, with the right to take part in the discussions on a consultative basis. The two parties agree on jointly organized meetings, conferences and workshops dealing with matters of mutual interest;
- All recommendations resulting from the meetings of both organizations OIE and AOAD will be submitted to their relative administrative committees for consideration or adoption.
- Each party may submit to the other proposals for technical consultation or specific action related to subjects of common interest; to this end, the two parties may decide, if necessary, to establish a joint commission or ad hoc committees or commissions, pursuant to provisions and conditions to be established by joint agreement;
- Continuous consultation and concerted effort by the Director –General of OIE and the Director-General of AOAD to reach the same or closely connected objectives and to avoid duplication;
- Mutual consultation by the Director –General of OIE and the Director-General of AOAD on matters of common interest, with a view to promoting arrangements for joint action in specific fields;
- Adoption by the director-General of OIE and the Director-General of AOAD of appropriate administrative arrangements necessary to implement these policies, including exchange of experts, and cross-training of personnel.
To promote efficiency and avoid duplication, OIE and AOAD shall, in the course of the preparation of their respective programmes of activity, in so far as they pertain to the present agreement, submit to each other their draft programmes for comment and coordination, and each party shall take into account to the possible extent the recommendations of the other.
Both parties may request that the present Agreement be amended. Any such amendment shall be adopted by mutual consent. An exchange of letters will detail the implementation of this agreement.