20 and 21 July 2022
Dr Galib Hummat Abdulaliyev, Delegate to WOAH and Head of the Animal Health Department of the Food Safety Agency of Azerbaijan, informed WOAH that the Food Safety Agency will organize a drill Peste des Petits Ruminants (PPR) simulation exercise, with the Agrarian Service Agency under Ministry of Agriculture of Azerbaijan Republic and Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Azerbaijan Republic.
This activity will take place on 20 and 21 July 2022 in Shabran district. The simulation exercise will be focused on the practical implementation of control measures in case of suspicion of a PPR outbreak. Through a guided and supervised activity, participants will have the chance to test specific SOPs relevant to the exercise’s objectives and foreseen for implementation in the national PPR contingency plan.
The main objective of the exercise is to identify strengths and weaknesses in the emergency preparedness and response of the animal health crisis system in Azerbaijan and to make the participants aware of their legal obligations during the implementation of PPR control measures.
The specific objectives include:
- Assess the ability of field staff to carry out biosecurity procedures when entering and leaving the farm.
- Assess the ability of field staff to carry out clinical examinations.
- Assess the ability of intersectoral coordination in emergency situations.
- Assess the ability of field staff to carry out an epidemiological survey via interview and complete the Livestock Disease Investigation Form.
- Assess the ability of field staff to obtain and package samples for PPR laboratory examination.
- Assess the ability of participation of mobile laboratories in the field.
Service d’information et d’analyse de la santé animale mondiale
Organisation Mondiale de la Santé Animale (OMSA)