OIE Animal welfare standards in my country
*IVSA: International Veterinary Student Association
Animal welfare is a complex subject with scientific, ethical, economic, cultural and political dimensions.
Today, animal producers are increasingly taking animal welfare into account and some have come to see it as a characteristic of quality of their products. Consumers’ concern in animal welfare is also constantly growing. Therefore this topic is becoming more and more central in the preoccupations of veterinarians, nowadays as well as in the upcoming years.
As a future representative of the veterinary profession, you will need to prove your leadership in this area.
THEME FOR 2015
“Describe and illustrate the implementation of an OIE welfare standard in your country”
The World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) is an intergovernmental organisation with a mandate to improve animal health and welfare worldwide. It is the only international organisation in charge of setting intergovernmental standards in the field of animal welfare.
Animal health is an essential component of animal welfare.
Every year, OIE Member Countries vote the adoption of new standards in the field of animal health and welfare. By doing so, they commit to implement these standards at the national level in their territory.
The OIE has been developing intergovernmental standards for animal welfare since the early 2000s. They cover the welfare of terrestrial and aquatic animals in key issues such as production, transport and slaughter, laboratory animals and are constantly updated. These are, as all OIE international standards, science based and adopted by consensus by all 180 OIE Member Countries.
The overall objective of this competition is to provide students from all over the world the opportunity to strengthen their knowledge of animal welfare, discover the scope of these standards and become aware of their level of implementation in their country. Participants will have to submit an essay, illustrated with photos or videos, covering the above mentioned theme.
It will also be a great mean to better know the work of the OIE and enlarge your network within the veterinary community of your country. But this is not all: two winners will be offered a scholarship to attend the IVSA Animal Welfare Conference in 2016.
The better you demonstrate your deep understanding of OIE’s standards in the field of animal welfare and illustrate how these standards are implemented in their country, the more chances you have to win this competition.
The OIE will sponsor the scholarships for two candidates to attend the IVSA Animal Welfare Conference, which will be held in Utrecht (The Netherlands) from 22 until 24 April 2016.
This Conference will focus on the issues related to this complex topic and provide a great opportunity to students who wish to increase their knowledge in this field. The program will include didactic lectures, as well as practical trainings and workshops, a discussion panel and local excursions to support and strengthen the educational material.
For information purposes, the sponsorship covers the travel costs as well as the registration and accommodation fees, up to 1,000 euros (EUR).
|Dr Bernard VALLAT, |
OIE Director General
President of the IVSA
HOW TO ENTER THE COMPETITION?
You just need to follow these steps:
- Download and read the rules on the web site www.woah.org;
- Write an essay (in English, French or Spanish) which describes and illustrates the above theme, including photos and possibly videos;
- Download the entry form, complete all the fields and sign it;
- Send your application electronically, together with the duly completed and signed entry form, to the email address [email protected] by 30 October 2015;
- Make sure that you receive a confirmation email from the IVSA acknowledging receipt of your entry.
All incomplete entries will be returned.
For further information, contact the IVSA at: [email protected] .
I CAN COMPETE, IF I AM:
- Currently studying in a Veterinary University which is member of the IVSA;
- Over 18 years-old.
WHAT DO I NEED TO PROVIDE TO VALIDATE MY APPLICATION?
The applications entered by participants must include the following:
- The application form duly filled;
- An essay of a maximum length of 2700 characters (spaces included);
- Good quality illustrations (copyrighted photos and/or videos);
- School registration certificate.
I WILL HAVE CHANCES TO WIN THIS COMPETITION IF:
- I choose an OIE standard in the field of animal welfare, whether for terrestrial or aquatic animals;
- I provide an accurate description of the situation in my country;
- I illustrate the topic with good quality illustrations (i.e. photos, videos);
- I can show that I have well understood OIE’s standards in the field of animal welfare and their implementation in my country.
- The OIE and its missions
- Animal welfare definition (OIE Terrestrial Code)
- OIE’s portal on Animal welfare
- Infographic: OIE’s standards on Animal welfare
- OIE’s Fact sheet on animal welfare