The World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH founded as OIE) is an intergovernmental organisation recognised by the World Trade Organization as a reference Organisation for intergovernmental standards concerning the sanitary safety of international trade of animals and products of animal origin and zoonoses. WOAH is in charge of improving animal health, veterinary public health and animal welfare worldwide, as well as transparency of the global animal disease situation.
Its headquarters are based in Paris, France. It comprises 182 Member Countries and is present on all continents through 13 regional offices.
|Positioning and reporting |
The Intern will report to and work under the guidance of the Head of the Legal Affairs Unit on a wide range of operational, programmatic and governance issues, as well as reviewing and drafting legal documentation.
|Internship role and activities |
In particular, the Intern will work under the supervision of the Head of the Legal Affairs Unit on all or some of the following tasks:
– Providing recommendations and legal support on data protection management
– Providing support in contractual matters (e.g. service agreements, grant agreements)
– Assisting in the review of legal documents, instruments, or other materialAssists in the preparation of draft background papers, studies, reports, etc.
– Performing legal research and benchmarking with the rules of other international organisations
** Other duties involving legal issues as required by the Head of the Legal Unit
|Education and Experience |
Applicants must meet one of the following educational requirements:
– currently enrolled in a post-graduate academic programme;
– or have graduated from a post-graduate programme or equivalent studies from a law school (master’s level or above) providing a general legal tertiary education.
– Ability to draft clear, legally correct documents or agreements in English
– Advanced knowledge of international organisations’ law
– Advanced legal research and benchmarking skills
– Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft environment
– Good command of French or Spanish would be an asset
– Knowledge of the two main legal systems of relevance to the Organisation (civil and common law) would be an advantage
– Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations (UN or non-UN system) would be an advantage
– Excellent communications skills Courtesy, tact and ability to establish and maintain good working relations in a multinational and multicultural environment
– Precise and punctual work approach, attentive to details
– ‘Can do’ attitude and ability to work within short deadlines
|Internship conditions |
– The trainee must deliver an *internship agreement* (convention de stage) for the whole duration of the internship
– The WOAH will provide a stipend in the amount of 614,22 EUR monthly for full time work (35 hours per week) based in WOAH Headquarters Paris in France (12, rue de Prony 75017 Paris)
– The maximum internship duration is 6 months
– The trainee must provide a medical insurance certificate, covering in case of illness and death, valid for the duration of the internship prior to starting;
– The trainee is responsible for obtaining and financing the necessary visas if needed. WOAH will provide you with the necessary documents. Some of the results of this analysis will be confidential.
– The trainee will therefore be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement.
|General information |
The WOAH places high value on a multicultural and positive work environment. The WOAH is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications of all qualified candidates, irrespective of their ethnic origin, gender, opinions or beliefs.If you are interested in this internship, please complete your application
online by 16 June 2023 by clicking on the link below. Please note that only applications including a resume and a cover letter will be considered.